- solution is a deployable, reusable package that can contain features, site definitions, and other functionality.
- Solutions can be enabled or disabled individually.
- You can deploy a solution directly onto your SharePoint Server farm, or you can deploy the solution into a sandbox.
A sandbox is a restricted execution environment that enables programs to access only certain resources, and that keeps problems that occur in the sandbox from affecting the rest of the server environment.
Solutions that you deploy into a sandbox, which are known as sandboxed solutions, cannot use certain computer and network resources, and cannot access content outside the site collection they are deployed in.
- Solutions Overview
- Sandboxed solutions overview (SharePoint Server 2010).
- Farm Solutions in SharePoint 2010
- Features in SharePoint Foundation
|Farm based Solution||Sandboxed Solution|
|A solution package is deployed to the farm’s solution store, it is called a ‘farm solution’.||A solution package is deployed to the solution store of a site collection, it is called a ‘sandboxed solution’.|
|The components in a farm solution generally run with full trust, although it is possible to deploy an assembly in a farm solution with a custom CAS policy that gives it less than full trust.||The components of a sandboxed solution run under several significant code execution and resource access restrictions.|
|Only a farm administrator can install a farm solution.||A site collection administrator can deploy a sandboxed solution.|
|Less resource restriction.||Each sandboxed solution must conform to certain hard limits on the system resources that it can use.|